Southern Nicaragua Bodyboard Holiday | A Dream Bodyboarding Destination
Ability: All abilities welcome from new bodyboarders to experienced shredders.
Experience incredible beauty in a tranquil environment, the southern Nicaraguan coast is uniquely blessed with 100% consistent offshore winds that groom every peak and feather every lip.
We’re heading to the south west coast of Nicaragua to catch daily clean offshore waves.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a complete novice, you’ll get the chance to bodyboard as much or as little as you want during this epic coaching holiday. Our aim is to set you up for a week of awesome fun in the water while enjoying beautiful countryside and idyllic untouched beaches.
It’s off-season for Nicaraguan swell during our visit which means crowds are kept low yet the waves are consistently chest high and occasionally bigger. This surf-friendly phenomenon is due to the Papagayos northerly winds which intensify over the inland Lake Nicaragua and blow bang offshore for the whole year. Yes folks, it’s offshore all day, every day. You’ll experience perfectly clean waves from dawn till dusk and they’re likely to be two to three foot and punchy. There’s a wide variety of wedges, beach breaks, reefs and river mouths only a short walk or boat ride from our camp.
The Papagayos winds also provide a constant breeze so even though the place is run-across-the-sand hot it never gets too uncomfortable. Consequently the land temperature is warm enough to just wear board shorts but not so hot you feel as though you’re melting.
As well as being a prime bodyboarding location there are plenty of other activities in the area such as a colonial city tours, offshore fishing trips, volcano tours and local markets. Alternatively you can simply relax and recharge between bodyboarding sessions by lazing in a breezy hammock reading a good book.
A one-minute walk from the front porch of your accommodation is the Playa Santana wedge. The lines of swell which breaks upon the rocks at the southern end of the beach offers beautifully shaped wedges through nearly all stages of the tide. The wedge works for around five hours each day which gives plenty of time to hone your skills and the paddle out is short and easy. Overlooking the wave is the resort of Rancho Santana so if you fancy a break you can chill by the pool while enjoying a smoothie. The waves will be breaking just twenty metres away from you.
The main beach of Playa Santana offers left and right breaking peaks which tend to be more popular with the local stand-up surfers. However there are still plenty of peaks on the two-mile stretch to catch some super fun tubes and practise your moves.
The north end of the beach has mellow right breaking wedge waves which can be fun when the tide pushes up. Just around the headland lays the famous reef break of Popoyo which intensifies the swell to head height offering great cruisy left and right walls.
We also have access to a boat so we can explore nearby secret spots that offer everything from mellow points and fun shore breaks to heavy reefs.
At the time of our visit, Southern Nicaragua is dry and sunny with cool breezes. It rarely, if ever rains, during January and February.
Having spent years in different surf camps around the world from outer Indonesia to Europe we can safely say this is the best surf camp we’ve have ever stayed in – hands down. It comprises surf villas and apartments that are fully air conditioned with a communal eating area, free Wifi, a swimming pool and gated security. Just ten metres from our surf camp’s front gate is the ocean, perfect for quick surf checks.
Rob Barber’s team of instructors offer daily tuition tailored to your ability with coaches that are Surfing GB qualified and fully insured. Experienced lifeguards, some have twenty years of surfing experience and fifteen years of worldwide travel experience. All members of the coaching team were trained by British Champ and Team Coach, Rob Barber. Intermediate and advanced level coaching is tailored towards the individual.
You’ll never be thrown straight into the deep end. We’ve got your back whatever your ability, and that’s a promise. Don’t stress if you’re used to smaller waves or you’re a total novice – there’s something for everyone. In fact you’ll be amazed how quickly you master paddling out to catch good quality waves.
Beginner coaching includes:
- Oceanography class at the start of the week to understand breaks, rips and currents
- Bodyboarding safety, beach awareness and how to catch waves
- How to paddle out, gain speed, duck dive and wipe out safely
- Learning moves such as cutbacks, barrel rolls and three-sixty spins
- How to get the most from your equipment while having heaps of fun
In order to book, follow these steps.
1. Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page
2. You will then be emailed an information pack and a Frequently Asked Questions sheet.
3. Read the information and follow the instructions to contact us to pay.
4. Remember we have limited numbers on each trip so please book early for the best price.
5. If you want to hear what other bodyboarders have thought of the holidays, read our Trip Advisor reviews here.
6. Once you have paid you will receive an online enrolment form, when you have completed and returned this you will be confirmed on the trip.
- You need to make your own travel arrangements to Managua International Airport. We will organise for a taxi to pick you up and take you to the accommodation, you are to cover the cost for this, one way from the airport is £95 and we recommend you arrive between 7pm and 9pm on the first day of the trip and leave between 7am and 9am on the last day so that we can group you up which will make the taxi’s cheaper for you. Try to arrange your flights to land and depart as close as possible to these times, if this is not possible we will do our best to create a schedule that works for everyone.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks are available from the surf camp. The food is good and very reasonably priced. If you budget $35 USD per day you’ll be well covered. There are daily specials available in the restaurant and themed nights including BBQs and Italian food.
Our host will supply the following:
- 7 nights of accommodation
- Airport welcome meeting
- Surf guiding with the locals everyday to find waves to suit your ability
- Photographic analysis
Rob Barber’s Bodyboarding School will supply the following:
- Tuition tailored to your ability from our team of pro bodyboard instructors
- Video analysis to help you improve double fast
- Good times!
Places book up fast so act quickly!
To find out more and to book your place get in touch. We’ll email you an enrolment form, an information pack, a kit list and FAQs.
Bodyboarding equipment not included in the price. Please contact us if you would like to hire or buy equipment for the trip.
Price per person in a shared room (bodyboarder) £799
Price per couple who each bodyboard and require their own private room £1698
Price per couple (one of whom doesn’t bodyboard) £1598
Price per person if requiring private room £1299
* limited availability for couples, private rooms etc, please contact us for availability